[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Fri Jun 21 12:30:47 EDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, John Franklin wrote:

> Yup.  The 128k Macintosh had an 8MHz 68000.  There were a handful of
> machines in the early '90s that had a PPC chip for a main processor, but
> a "PC Compatibility Card" (read: an x86 on an expansion board) to run
> DOS apps (and maybe Windows 3.x).

I was using a DOS compatibility card manufactured by Apple (CPU, RAM
slots, at least vaguely like the current Blade concept) in the NuBus slot
of a 6100 at AT&T in 1994. It was pretty cool, at least to me and at the
time. I believe Orange Micro manufactured at least one brand of the
cards. I don't remember if they ever made a PCI card version of their PC
card, but it wouldn't surprise me. Oh look, there's three (all NuBus I
believe) on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2033077157

--
Steve Burnett    burnett at pobox.com   http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval