[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Fri Jun 21 12:34:09 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:19:33PM -0400, Thunder Bear wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 12:14, John Franklin wrote:
>
> > Yup.  The 128k Macintosh had an 8MHz 68000.  There were a handful of
> > machines in the early '90s that had a PPC chip for a main processor, but
> > a "PC Compatibility Card" (read: an x86 on an expansion board) to run
> > DOS apps (and maybe Windows 3.x).
>
> Considering I have a basement full of Macs from the early to mid 90's,
> I'm curious about what models might have had these x86 cards.  I've got
> everything down there from LC to PowerMac 5400 and lots of models in
> between.

They were option cards that were available with certain Performa, Quadra
and PowerMacintosh models.  If the machine shipped with the option, it
usually had "PC Compatiable" or something like it printed on the front.

See these pages for the models:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/powermacintosh.html
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/performa.html
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/quadra.centris.html