[TriLUG] Vexing CD Burning Problem

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 21 14:33:00 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:06, Paul D. Boyle wrote:
>
> > The common thread here is that CD's I burn can't be read on all drives,
> > but they don't fail in every drive.  The drives which do fail, can read
> > CD's which have been burned by professionals (i.e. install disks for
> > software I have).
> >
> You said it was a CD-RW that failed in an older drive.  Did you
> try a CD-R (no W) in that drive?  Some older drives can't read
> CD-RW media and it looks like that's what may be happening here.

The CD-R also gives the scsi-ide timeout error as well on the
Yamaha drives.

I guess the experiement to try would be to move my .iso image over
to the computer with the Yamaha CD-RW and burn an image there on
a CD-R (as well as CD-DW disk) and see if they can get read on
all the drives.

Who would have guessed all this subtlety in just burning a CD?  Shheeeesh!

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html