[TriLUG] Vexing CD Burning Problem

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 21 16:13:34 EDT 2002

Ed Hill wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 12:22, Brian Daniels wrote:
> >
> > You are burning the cd's correctly.  Not all cd drives can read CD-RW
> > disks.  Some very old cd-rom drives even have trouble with CD-R's.
> >
> > They can all read the pressed discs that come from a manufacturer.  CD-R
> > and CD-RW use different methods to record data and different laser
> > frequencies.
>
> I've also had problems with CD-Rs and CD-RWs on older machines.  I've
> found that the "silver" or "gold" colored CD-Rs tend to work better then
> the "blue" ones.

This is useful information.  I burnt a CD-R on the (picky) Yamaha drive.
I'll see if it can be read on my home box this evening.

> ps - Are all of the machines running Linux or some other Unix?

All machines are running Linux and nothing else.  The kernel versions
vary: 2.0.35, 2.2.16, and 2.4.10.  The 2.0.x and 2.2.x are custom compiled
from virgin sources, while the 2.4.10 is the stock kernel from SuSE 7.3.

I have this feeling I'll be buying a new CD-RW for my home box.

Thanks for the notes concerning various incantations of mkisofs and
cdrecord.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html