[TriLUG] man's heart into a pig, on #trilug now

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Sat Jun 22 10:25:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 17:58, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> For any of you sick-o's who love to see Linux run on platforms never
> intended for a real OS, I'm going to attempt to get Linux running on an
> Apple Power Macintosh 5400/180.

For anyone thinking about doing this, you better have a lot of free time
on your hands.  And preferably someone easily available that knows the
perils of this architecture.

Firstly, old world macs like this are very bizarre.  You actually need
to have MacOS on the machine to get Linux running, unlike other
architectures.  Also, the Linux install CD's are not bootable, so there
is quite a lot of stuff to do inside of Mac OS.  Partitioning on this
platform is unusual compared to PeeCee or traditional UNIX workstations.

Last night I popped into #debianppc and this really nice guy named Varpu
helped me out from start to almost finish.  The problem was I only gave
150M to Mac OS which was not enough space apparently, so there was not
enough room left for Stuffit Expander (the mac version of gunzip) or the
files I actually needed to expand to get the boot loader working.

I basically ended up with Debian base installed, and could not free up
enough disk space to get the boot loader installed so Debian was
inaccessible.

So now I am going through the whole thing again, this time with 200M for
Mac OS and the other 1.4G for Debian.

Debian itself is basically booted from floppies during the install.  You
have to make two floppies (boot & root) and the rest of the install,
with the exception of partitioning, should be familiar to anyone who has
installed Debian before.

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-
+[Upchuckee Nation]+