[TriLUG] DocBook questions

Michael Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Sat Jun 22 10:57:48 EDT 2002

First off, if this DocBook question needs to go to the dev list, let me know
and I'll move it to that forum.

I am a DocBook newbie.  I am trying to get a simple example published as
html.  I am having success, but there are a few errors that I could use some
help with.

Here is the input.  I used nsgmls to validate the input.  I had to change the
"3.0" that came with the sample to "4.1".
<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [
]>
<book>
  <bookinfo>
    <date>1997-10-11</date>
    <title>My first booklet</title>
    <subtitle>it even has a subtitle</subtitle>
  </bookinfo>
  <toc></toc>
  <!-- We are done with the preliminaries, now we can start with
          the body of the document -->
  <chapter>
    <title>My first chapter</title>
    <para>Here's a paragraph of text because it is stylistically
      poor to start a section right after the chapter title.</para>
    <sect1>
      <title>A section in that first chapter</title>
      <para>All I need is a single paragraph of text to make the
        section valid.</para>
    </sect1>
  </chapter>
  <appendix>
    <title>Remaining details</title>
    <para>Although this booklet is quite complete, here I will
      mention some details I never got to.</para>
    <sect1>
      <title>Use of the word dude</title>
      <para>Here's an example of how to say
    </sect1>
  </appendix>
</book>
Here is the the jade processing output.  I learned about the db2html script
by googling around.  Why is it complaining about line 191 in dbinline?  Why
can it not stat docbook.css?  The subdir it creates contains a very nice
DocBook html presentation of the source above (Yea!).

[mike01 at laptop docbook]$ db2html test2
TMPDIR is DBTOHTML_OUTPUT_DIR2900
Using stylesheet:
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-cygnus/stylesheets/cygnus-both.dsl"
working on ../test2
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/dbinline.dsl:191:15:E:
invalid value for "attributes" characteristic
about to copy cascading stylesheet and admon graphics to temp dir
cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/test/docbook.css':
No such file or directory
about to rename temporary directory to db2html-dir

Thanks for any help.