[TriLUG] DocBook questions

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Jun 24 06:48:16 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 01:53, Mike Mueller wrote:
> The xslt toolset does not seem to be supported in the 3 cd distro of Mandrake
> 8.1.

Interesting. xsltproc is a gnome tool, so that may (or may not) be why.
I've not dug into mandrake recently, so I'll have to install it onto a
vmware session to see how it works.

> I started pulling in the tools on-by-one.  I learned that I needed jdk.  It
> is not on my mdk8.1 cds.  Pulling in jdk by hand looks daunting.  I need help
> with my options here:

I'll get the setup later today. I've done the xslt transforms on
machines without the JDK using xsltproc, so I know it's possible.

Oh, and installing the JDK these days is pretty easy. Sun makes a tar.gz
and RPM versions of java available now. It typically extracts/installs
to .usr/.java/jdkversion, so for 1.3.1 :
1 - the JDK installs to /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02
2 - export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02
3 - export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
4 - java -version

and you should see this :
[alchemist at pikachu](~)> java -version
java version "1.3.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_02-b02)
[alchemist at pikachu](~)>

voila! The jdk is installed and ready to go.

> 1. get a new distro (RH or MDK) with xslt support out-of-the-box

You may want the 8.2 upgrade.

> 2. continue pulling in tools by hand

er, you may not want to do this just yet

> 3. other

I'd opt for this - give me a little time this morning to find the tools
and sample stylesheets. FWIW, on Red Hat Linux 7.3 xsltpoc is part of
the libxslt package. I don't know what the Mandrake 8.2 equivalent is,
but I'll install it on vmware and find out...

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --