[TriLUG] DocBook questions

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 24 23:29:22 EDT 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 06:48, Kevin Sonney reputedly wrote:

> > I started pulling in the tools on-by-one.  I learned that I needed jdk.
> > It is not on my mdk8.1 cds.  Pulling in jdk by hand looks daunting.  I
> > need help with my options here:
>
> I'll get the setup later today. I've done the xslt transforms on
> machines without the JDK using xsltproc, so I know it's possible.

A big thanks.  I want to dip my toes in the Java water, but if I can do it on
a separate effort my head will stay clearer.  The steps belows look
straightforward.  I noticed there seems to be more than one jdk out there,
but I don't need those extra options now.  Sun version is perfect.

> Oh, and installing the JDK these days is pretty easy. Sun makes a tar.gz
> and RPM versions of java available now. It typically extracts/installs
> to .usr/.java/jdkversion, so for 1.3.1 :
> 1 - the JDK installs to /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02
> 2 - export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02
> 3 - export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
> 4 - java -version
>
> and you should see this :
> [alchemist at pikachu](~)> java -version
> java version "1.3.1_02"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_02-b02)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_02-b02, mixed mode)
> [alchemist at pikachu](~)>
>
> voila! The jdk is installed and ready to go.
>
> > 1. get a new distro (RH or MDK) with xslt support out-of-the-box
>
> You may want the 8.2 upgrade.

I'm torn on this one.  On one hand, 8.1 is working so nicely.  On the other,
I want to do an update to get that experience under my belt.

> > 2. continue pulling in tools by hand
>
> er, you may not want to do this just yet

Standing by.

> > 3. other
>
> I'd opt for this - give me a little time this morning to find the tools
> and sample stylesheets. FWIW, on Red Hat Linux 7.3 xsltpoc is part of
> the libxslt package. I don't know what the Mandrake 8.2 equivalent is,
> but I'll install it on vmware and find out...

That's very cool. Thanks.

BTW, from your earlier email advice on the openjade problems I was able to
isolate the problem and remove it, although without understanding its cause.
I went in to the source and removed the tags: <emphasis>
blah-blah</emphasis>.  I also used the openjade command directly instead of
db2html.

Are the XSLT tools the new and fast rising kid on the block?  Will openjade
get deprecated in the future as a result?