[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?(LONGDIATRIBE) (off-topic)

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Tue Jun 25 20:21:27 EDT 2002

Back in the day (1998 or so) we were upgrading an old Sun Enterprise
server (one of the originals, don't remember the model off hand) that
took a large server room to hold.  Since we had to take it down anyways,
we decided to boot linux first, then do the upgrade.  It was huge at the
time 1G of RAM, eight 50 MHz processors, and almost a terrabyte of
storage directly attached.  Although it may not be the most powerful
computer people on the list ran linux on, I'd wager large sums it was
the biggest. I'd estimate it took least 10-15  racks to contain the
beast.

Peace.

john

--