[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Fri Jun 28 08:48:25 EDT 2002

One of our project directors, a Linux supporter, asked me to ask the group,
specifically RedHat folks the following question. There is a big debate in
the bioinformatics community, which has been using Linux as a solution
because of cost more than anything. Now that bioinformatics are becoming
more "mainstream", better monies are coming in. Now they are starting to
look elsewhere. If we as a community can show how Linux is viable in this
emerging field, then maybe it will help show that Linux is viable.

Question to me:
"Do you have pointers to info on how open-source solutions can still be
viable companies.  There is a big debate in the bioinformatics community
about this, and I thought you might have some info."

Any info would be greatly appreciated.