[TriLUG] Multiprocessor Install

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Fri Jun 28 14:47:40 EDT 2002

I recently found myself "in the right place at the right time, and as a
result I know have a new (to me) dual P3 700Mhz machine. A Gig of ram too!
So anyway, I want to install Redhat on this bad boy this weekend, and I was
wondering if there is anything I need to know to do so, as in is there
anything different than doing a single proc install? I know there is a SMP
kernel, is that required? ( SMP is TLA for Symmetric Multi-Processor, which
I assume needs two or more procs, right? ;-) ) If so is it pat of the
standard  RedHat install cd set? I guess I could always just boot the bad
boy up to the cd and see what happens when the  installer starts...

This system has (2) 4GB disks, and (2) 8GB disks. I also have a brand new
IBM Deskstar 83GB drive that I am looking to provide a home for. Any
suggestions for partition schema using these disks?  I'm thinking of
procuring an IDE Raid controller, and going ahead and setting up a mother of
a 'home machine' ;-)

Any advice appreciated,

Justin