[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Fri Jun 28 13:55:48 EDT 2002

I've heard this reasoning used in the past when justifying college degrees
for fairly mundane roles.

Analytical thinking and problem solving prowess, committment and probably
the most important aspect: dealing with horribly flawed bureaucracies that
run the schools.

Industry certifications coupled with multi-year job experience are
sufficient to ensure a quality candidate for all system administration
roles, including networks and security. Software developers are another
group that benefit less from education than good management.  The
certification exam ensures that the candidate has the applied knowledge (at
least for the hours necessary to fill out the exam questions,) and the
experience backs up the ability to carry out the skills (else said candidate
would likely not be employed for very long, unless he works for the State of
North Carolina, in which case he or she would be encouraged to stay ignorant
and ineffective.)  At a high level, where the wheels of theory meet the road
of application you'll see a benefit from a quality college education, one
that teaches both the history of computer science as well as current "best
practices" and methods.  One obviously does not walk into a semiconductor
design house as a developer without at least a long apprenticeship under
another.  Indeed even a personnel manager should have some official training
in dealing with the nontechnical aspects of human resources process.

So thats my gripe.  I don't think college does anything for your maturity
nor your ability by today's standards.  In the 1930's, this was true, I
think less of that today.  For the record, I have 2 years of NCSU behind me,
and my girlfriend is a graduate as of August of last year.  I'm currently
employed as a System Administrator handling Wintel boxes for Gartner, and
have very little experience administering *nix boxes on an enterprise level.

But thats enough of my rant on this topic.  I'm sure its not the first time
its been mentioned.