[TriLUG] Multiprocessor Install

Joshua Vickery vickeryj at alumni.grinnell.edu
Fri Jun 28 14:34:30 EDT 2002

> So anyway, I want to install Redhat on this bad boy this weekend, and I was
> wondering if there is anything I need to know to do so, as in is there
> anything different than doing a single proc install?
Nope, not if it is a fairly recent copy of redhat (post 5.2 should work ;p)

> I know there is a SMP  kernel, is that required?
While not required, you will only use one processor if you don't use
an SMP enabled kernel.  Redhat should detect and install the proper kernel
for you.  Using an SMP enabled kernel on a UP (uniprocessor) machine also
won't hurt, just make the kernel bigger.

To make sure you have an SMP kernel, you can type "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
if you see processor 0 and processor 1 listed, you are set.  Now, next
time you compile something with make, try "make -j 3" to split the build
over both processors.

> This system has (2) 4GB disks, and (2) 8GB disks. I also have a brand new
> IBM Deskstar 83GB drive that I am looking to provide a home for. Any
> suggestions for partition schema using these disks?
I've always found that partitioning schemes are mostly a matter of personal
preference.  With RedHat, I would think about a fairly small "/" a bigger
"usr" and a huge "home"

> I'm thinking of procuring an IDE Raid controller, and going ahead and
> setting up a mother of  a 'home machine' ;-)
Careful with IDE raid, most of the cheaper controllers won't give you
any performance advantage over Linux software raid, assuming you can find
drivers.  That said, an extra ATA controller might be worth the money
so that you can have only 1 IDE device per channel.

I hope this helps and I hope you have fun-- you may be surprised at how fast
an SMP machine "feels".

josh

--
Joshua Vickery