[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Jun 28 22:20:57 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 19:20, Jon Carnes wrote:

> I think what you mean to say here is that Systems Administration should be
> taught in a hands-on environment.  I agree with you, and with the fact that
> most University settings do not do this effectively.  Many Community
> College's however do quite a good job of this.
>
> BTW: the days of a System Admin doing only Systems work is fading rapidly
> (if not already gone).  SA's need extended skills in one or more of the
> follow:  Programming, Database/Web Applications design, or even a degree in
> Business.  In this respect, the traditional Universities are a great help.

Thank you Jon for saying what I wanted to say in a much better
manner. :-)

I would go so far to say, however, that code development should
also be taught in a hands-on environment also.  I think regular
universities do a fairly good job of this (as someone who has
taught programming in college, I believe I can speak with
some authority on this).  Not having any experience with
community colleges, I can't speak about them, but I'll gladly
take your word for it. :-)

Even if you learn stuff in college or on the job, there's still
no substitute for actually doing the thing you're trying to learn.
The thing that, for me, pushes universities over the top for
development is that in addition to teaching you how, universities
teach you why.  To be a truly great programmer, you have to know
not only how to do something, but why and when to do it.  Someone
else said they believed good programmers were born and not made.
I say that you even the most talented potential programmer ever
will be pushed to an even higher level with a good university
education.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/