[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 30 19:48:15 EDT 2002

Robby Dermody wrote:
> A few weeks ago I took a look at a C# book, at the language itself. It looks
> like a very nice evolutionary step past C++ (and it also looks like MS's
> attempt to kill Java).

Exactly.  It's a Java-clone...minus 5 years of maturity, platform
portability and broad vendor support (and a lot more).

 > However, the Mono and dotGNU attempts to build
> portable C# compilers and .NET frameworks sounds very exciting to me. I
> think Microsoft, as usual, might try to be a big pain in the behind over
> control of the specs/framework and will try to make the lives of the people
> working on this open software alternative very difficult. This keeps me wary

<BLATANT_JAVA_PLUG>
Why bother...do you have something against Java (or Sun)?
There are only a few minor differences between the syntax of
Java and C#...Java has a mature market and lots of _great_
developer tools...including open source implementations of
JVMs, appservers, IDEs and a wide variety of development
frameworks, utilities and class libaries.

Obviously, I'm a Java developer...so I'm more than a little
biased...but why re-invent all the wheels?

Despite some bad press, Sun has been very cooperative with
open-source...especially of late.  Cooperation with open
source groups is unthinkable from Microsoft.
</BLATANT_JAVA_PLUG>

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com