[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Mon Jul 1 07:21:15 EDT 2002

Robby Dermody wrote:

>I guess with C# and the open source attention it's been getting, I was/am
>excited that it just might be the next good language to transition to. As

Have you really looked closely at C#?  IT *IS* Java--.  There is VERY
little advantage over Java.
(lightweight types).  Mono is not quite baked yet.  But I'd certainly
not discourage you from looking at C#.
I would personally consider it a bad career move to bet my career on it,
but I never was a bettin' man.
If you're not a Windows man, it is doubtful that the .NET platform will
ever be up to snuff (period - ha ha) on
other platforms.  So I would not consider it a viable alternative for
UNIX or multiplatform development.

>Andrew noted, Java is nice, but most people have been there/done that (I
>remember the amazing amount of hype it got years ago), and it still isn't
>fast enough for most (me included from what I saw of it less than a year
>back).

That does depend on what you're doing.  In the end run of things, C#
will only be fast enough by using
native code.  Java can do that too, its just a deliberate pain in the
butt.

>The Java compilers got me excited, but it never seemed that the
>language really caught on to supplant C/C++, past the Corporate zone with
>Servlets.

You MUST be on a different planet than I am on.  I have seen Java take a
huge wack at C++ over the past
few years.  While don't get me wrong, there are no jobs ;-), I read
recently that the number of Java jobs equals the number
of C++, PERL, PHP, etc combined.  And C# and VB.NET were just a handful.

> I think I big reason for this was Sun's refusal to give power over
>the language up to an independent standards committee.

I believe that at the time it was the right decision.  Now its part of
an ill-conceived business plan to make money of off
"enterprise" software via a cooperation by an oligarchy of industry
powers.  This has been opened up to some degree in
that "J2EE" reference implementations are now able to be implemented and
the required Test Compatibility Kit will be made
available to the successful projects.  (It seems it may be largely up to
the Apache Software Foundation on which projects those
are, but that will probably be relatively fair anyhow)

>C# might be the same
>deal, and MS hovering over it scares the heck out of me, but at the same
>time DotGNU and Mono intrigue me for this same reason.

No dude.  C# will be worse.  Sun made the Java platform run well on
Windows.  Aside from GUI programming, the WORA concept works relatively
well.

The main performance problems that C# will solve is easy use of native
code (read: code that will only run on one platform), and lightweight
types (typedefs).  Check out "D"  (www.opend.org & www.digitalmars.com/d).

Full disclosure: I'm the secretary and speaker coordiantor for the Java
User's Group.  Although I frequently butt heads with folks over my beef
with many of the Java APIs.  (in particular I regard Applets, JSPs and
EJBs as bad things)  In general, Java is good business.  (except right
now:  real estate is good business)

-Andy