[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Robby Dermody robbyd at avalonent.org
Mon Jul 1 14:38:56 EDT 2002

Please, calm down. Like I told Andy, I only expressed interest in C#. I
never said "hey this new C# thing is out, lets all jump on the C# bandwagon
since it's so much better than Java". If I knew my _interest_ and
_questions_ would cause this much strife by all the Java people, I would
have never asked the questions in the first place.

And to answer your first question. It was a game graphics engine (so yes I
think I am justified). I had a developer prototype one, and we decided that
the performance wasn't up to what we wanted (in that the engine would need
to get more advanced, sound support, networking, etc would need to be
added). Keep in mind that this was 1 1/2 to 2 or so years ago, so Linux java
compilers and the JDK itself were not nearly as mature as they are now, if
they were existent in the first place. This fact was only one of the ones
that made me decide to go with C++ and SDL (www.libsdl.org) for the client
side of this game project. The other major factor was that the server is in
C and having the client in C++ would allow more code-reuse between the two.
Now you could reply and we could argue back and forth like two pedants, but
the fact remains that MY decision was made for MY project and I'm happy with
it....you may choose to use Java, that's great, but the fact remains that it
just wasn't "there" when I decided. So nyah :)

Robby