[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jul 1 15:41:22 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 12:36, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> paradigm.  Granted, the object oriented paradigm is extremely
> powerful, but there are times when it is the wrong tool for the
> job.  In those cases (which crop up far more often than you
> would think), I prefer a language that allows me to use a
> different paradigm.  The reason I like C++ so much is that
> it, uniquely from any other language out there that I know
> about, is a true multi-paradigm language.  You want to do
> object oriented stuff, no problem.  You want generic
> programming?  Sure, we do that.  You want functional?

Hi Tanner,

I agree with the *vast* majority of what you're saying.  I like Java
almost solely because of WORA.

I like the STL and templates.  I use them a *lot* in my C++.  Have you
seen java-generics?  Supposedly, its going to be incorporated into the
Java 1.5 spec...

> can (take DirectX for example).  Personally, I got off
> that wagon when I switched to Linux and I have no desire to
> get back on it.

YES!  Absolutely!  Control (that is, the software developers' and users'
*loss* and MS's gain) is the most important aspect of .NET.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu