[TriLUG] Possible to move files between CVS repositories?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Jul 3 12:47:45 EDT 2002

I have a question for any CVS gurus on the list.

I know that moving a CVS repository is no big deal, but what about moving
files with their history from one repository to another.

Basically, while I was out of town, I needed to work on some personal files
and maintain history.  I didn't have access to my CVS repository at home, so
I created a new one on my laptop.  I used that for a while, but now I'd like
those files to be in my main CVS repository at home.

Specifically, I'd like to move
/path/to/laptop/CvsRoot/Programming/Java/example1.java,v
/path/to/fileserver/CvsRepository/Java/example1.java,v

Can I just move the ,v file to the new repository?  I'll probably just try it,
but I thought that I'd check to see whether anyone has been burned by doing
this before.

---Tom