[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Robert A. Henderson rah at ntrnet.net
Sat Jul 6 12:03:52 EDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Mike Mueller wrote:

> I was wondering about the
> requirements I've seen in employment ads.  The combinations of skills and
> proficiencies required are rather escalated.  The current environment is
> particularly useful for developing a database of people with technical
> skills.  The cost per resume collected must be very attractive right now.
>
> The ideal skill set seems to be 5-10 years in a non-telecom business, SA for
> *nix and MS, Cisco certified, and expert ability to program in Perl, C++, VB,
> and Java.  Candidates with brain surgery and rocket science experience are
> preferred.
>
> On Friday 05 July 2002 22:44, Andrew C. Oliver reputedly wrote:
> > Yes.... I've experienced Sysadmin-type slash DBAs first hand.  Its not a
> > nice trend.  Its may be actually
> > worse than the previous Programmer slash DBAs....
> >
> > -Andy
> >
> > Thunder Bear wrote:

It's all very simple. The business is trying to get by with as few people
(read expense $) as possible. If they can get one "do it all" rather than
three separate people, well so much the better.

Having once worked in really small shop situations, I can say one thing
for it. You will learn a lot about a wide range of subjects. But as has
been mentioned, you may not be overly efficient at any one of them.

You will also burn out quicker from being expected to do 'everything'. I
sometimes wonder if the business bothers to factor in turnover rates when
they go looking like this.

Expect it to get worse before it gets better. If ever.