[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Jul 6 13:33:32 EDT 2002

Well, I've practically made a career from do-everything situations.  But
this is problematic in the current climate of "do everything" positions
with "the lowest bidder" and hire him on a temp basis.

What do you want to bet half of those do-everything positions have
$30/hr contract at the bottom of them?  Hummmm... Probably wouldn't pay
Dr. Doeverything's student loans.

-Andy

> It's all very simple. The business is trying to get by with as few people
> (read expense $) as possible. If they can get one "do it all" rather than
> three separate people, well so much the better.
>
> Having once worked in really small shop situations, I can say one thing
> for it. You will learn a lot about a wide range of subjects. But as has
> been mentioned, you may not be overly efficient at any one of them.
>
> You will also burn out quicker from being expected to do 'everything'. I
> sometimes wonder if the business bothers to factor in turnover rates when
> they go looking like this.
>
> Expect it to get worse before it gets better. If ever.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh