[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Jul 6 15:28:13 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 08:15, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> <hat-off>
>
> If I had a doctorate in some Scientific field, that would indicate I'd
> had a strong commitment to blow 8 years of my life on getting a
> Doctorate in that scientific field.  Now I might be just wacked out on
> drugs, hotties, blowing my parent's money or something, but you'd think
> that when it was over maybe I would want to practice/work in that field.
> Would my dream job then be writing a webapp even if it was used by those
> who were actually working in that field?

Andy,

Hey, I resemble that remark.  ;-)

Seriously, I have a phd in engineering, with some experience working as
a coder/sysadmin, and would very much like to land another developer or
sysadmin position.  Am I crazy?  Perhaps.  But coding and otherwise
applying-computers-to-interesting-problems is what I look forward to
doing when I get out of bed in the morning.

And the job market isn't so hot for me, either.  I get the feeling that
I'm being passed over for folks who have more non-academic experience.
I've had some near misses on cool positions (eg. admin/coder for a
"mini-supercomputer" Linux cluster at a research lab) but no solid
offers yet.  And I'll keep looking because the current post-do, while
fun and challenging/stimulating, is not a long-term appointment.

Given all the conversations that I've heard concerning the job market, I
think its likely that (barring a minority of folks with "superstar"
skills and experience) everyone is feeling the current crunch.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu