[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Jul 6 18:00:58 EDT 2002

I stand corrected.  Still I don't think that the majority of SysAdmins,
programmers, developers, tape switchers require a PhD to perform their
task...  But then again...

-Andy

> Andy,
>
> Hey, I resemble that remark.  ;-)
>
> Seriously, I have a phd in engineering, with some experience working as
> a coder/sysadmin, and would very much like to land another developer or
> sysadmin position.  Am I crazy?  Perhaps.  But coding and otherwise
> applying-computers-to-interesting-problems is what I look forward to
> doing when I get out of bed in the morning.
>
> And the job market isn't so hot for me, either.  I get the feeling that
> I'm being passed over for folks who have more non-academic experience.
> I've had some near misses on cool positions (eg. admin/coder for a
> "mini-supercomputer" Linux cluster at a research lab) but no solid
> offers yet.  And I'll keep looking because the current post-do, while
> fun and challenging/stimulating, is not a long-term appointment.
>
> Given all the conversations that I've heard concerning the job market, I
> think its likely that (barring a minority of folks with "superstar"
> skills and experience) everyone is feeling the current crunch.
>
> Ed
>
> --
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
> Division of ESE            |  URL:         http://www.eh3.com
> Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
> Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
> Key fingerprint = 5BDE 4DA1 66BE 4F7B BC17  3A0C 932B 7266 1E76 F123
> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh