[TriLUG] Sendmail with virtual hosts (8.11.6)

Errol Casey errol at nouce.net
Sun Jul 7 00:07:15 EDT 2002

I've noticed an issue in a personal configuration of sendmail with
virtual host.

In the received headers, of a received message from the virtual host
the correct hostname is listed, followed by the hostname and IP of the
domain on the main interface hosting
the virtual host.

Main.com 192.168.0.1 (eth0)
Virt.com 192.168.0.2 (eth0:0)
Virt2.com 192.168.0.3 (eth0:1)
etc...

Received By: virt.com (main.com [192.168.0.1])

It seems in my investigation, that the $_ macro is expanded by doing
some kinda of reverse lookup, and ident call (which is disabled on the
hosting box).

But it seems, sendmail is sending out possibly on the 196.168.0.1
interface instead of the 192.168.0.2.

I've found brief documentation on DaemonOptions and ClientOptions, and
it would seem I might want to "bind" the interface using M=b; but this
hasn't worked so far for me.

Does anybody have a working configuration with virtual hosts, that they
might could share to educate me.

I'm using Sendmail 8.11.6 on this host. Sending and receiving for both
main and virtual hosts is working fine, it's just this header issue I'm
trying to resolve.

--
Errol Casey
errol at nouce.net