[TriLUG] Sendmail with virtual hosts (8.11.6)

Errol Casey errol at nouce.net
Mon Jul 8 22:56:44 EDT 2002

Well it seems, I've done all that people have suggested
minus the genericstable.  And the mail itself is working for the
virtual hosts; it's just one of the Received headers get's the ip
of the main interface.

So I guess my question would be better phrased, how to I force or make
sendmail
bind the IP of the virtual interface, rather than the main eth0
interface.

I'm using a combination of xinetd, /etc/hosts.allow, and sendmail 8.11.6
(redhat 7.1 install with 8.11.6 manually compiled). By default xinetd is
listening to 0.0.0.0, and sendmail listens to 127.0.0.1. I don't think
xinet hands off the "ip" of the virtual interface to sendmail; so when a
remote mta receives the "helo" and it reverse the connection it gets the
main ip rather than virt.

If anybody has any experience in forcing the IP of a service handled by
xinetd to a daemon, let me know.

I'm going to look into tcpserver (i.e. qmail) and see if it might can be
used to work in place of xinetd.

I have worked with the "bind" option with xinetd, but haven't gotten a
working solution that will let me bind to more than one interface;
although I've seen documentation that shows how to bind ftpd to two
separate local ips.

As for using another MTA, that's not in the books currently. But thanks
for the suggestion of postfix, it cannot be any worse than sendmail :-)
I've personally used qmail and like it, but haven't done virtual hosts
with it.

Errol