[TriLUG] syncronizing directories

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Wed Jul 10 09:32:01 EDT 2002

Before I go off and write a script, I'm wondering how others have solved
this problem.

I keep current projects on a USB memory key, which is faster and more
reliable than trying to make networked mounts available wherever I'm
working. But I'm concerned that I could lose or otherwise destroy the
thing, so I'd like a convenient way to back it up.

More to the point, though: the way I use it is I pull directories from my
(nicely backed-up) home directory at work onto the key, then edit them
there. The ideal solution for me would be some tool that takes each file
from the key and copies it back to the home directory, *unless* the home
directory's copy is newer, in which case it would copy it with some new
name.

I can write this easily enough, but if it's already written I'll pass.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu