[TriLUG] StarOffice at Best Buy

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Fri Jul 12 00:03:55 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 23:16, Robert Floyd wrote:
> Yesterday, I went by Best Buy and picked up the shrink-wrapped
> StarOffice. It was on sale for $69.95, with a $20 rebate by mail. Not
> too bad for a 5-license office suite I'm running on my home Windows 98
> box, my personal Linux laptop and, soon, my daughter's Windows 95
> machine (that will be the test: it's a P100; and it's in my house, so
> it's still my machine).

I can confirm, Open Office 1.0 is usable on a P100 with 32MB RAM and
Windows 98.  Haven't tried it with Linux on that hardware but then again
nobody buys them preloaded with Linux.

> 1. The additional goodies: the templates and clip art are nice, as is
> Adabas, but the additional filters are particularly important to me. In
> addition, the manual is not too shabby.

What is Adabas?

> 4. Come on: $50 for a 5-machine license. What better bargain is there
> for all you home networkers out there.

$0 for an unlimited license?

> 5. I plan an experiment in subverting the dominant paradigm at work.
> When I install StarOffice on my Windows 2000 machine, I'll start using
> it as my default word processor/spreadsheet/presentation package and
> exchange documents freely with my Office 2000 colleagues. If I can do
> this transparently (i.e., no complaints about problems reading my
> documents), it will demonstrate the folly of buying into the Microsoft
> licensing scheme.

Have you played at all with macros in the word processor?  Does it
*have* a macro language?  The office I'm at now is standardized on Word
Perfect, which is a nice suite, but they have dropped Linux support.
The vast majority of users are Windows users but there is a push to move
many to Linux.  However there are a lot of Word Perfect macros being
used and I'm just wondering how portable they might be to Star Office.
The Corel Office Suite version is "2000" (that goofy calendar-based
versioning scheme is one of those really asinine things that Microsoft
gave us that just makes my skin crawl).

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-
+[Upchuckee Nation]+

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is
 dressed in overalls and looks like work."
	-Thomas A. Edison