[TriLUG] Caching DNS quickstart Was: RR DNS?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Jul 14 06:29:41 EDT 2002

On Thursday 27 June 2002 09:04 pm, John Beimler wrote:
> Quick Start guide to running your own DNS server.

Thanks for that quick overview.  I always thought it silly that I run a Linux
box as my firewall but forward all DNS queries straight through it.  I have
one problem with your instructions:

> 3.  Set it up
>
> in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> add the line
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> before any other nameserver lines in the file already.

I can do this, but whenever pump configures my interface from my ISP's DHCP
servers, /etc/resolv.conf gets blasted away.  Does anyone know how to set it
up so that "nameserver 127.0.0.1" is the first line, and other lines are just
appended to the file?

---Tom