[TriLUG] Re: Caching DNS quickstart Was: RR DNS?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 14 13:11:53 EDT 2002

Two points here...

First, you only need the 127.0.0.1 entry in your /etc/resolv.conf - as long
as your named daemon is running.  The other entries should actually be
added to your /etc/named.conf file in the "forwarders" section.  I guess
it's nice to have an alternative if you named daemon breaks down, so its
cool to put other entries after 127.0.0.1 in your /etc/resolv.conf.

Second, a grep of /etc/network-scripts/* for "resolv" points to "ifup-post"
as being the source of all know evil in the universe.  Well, perhaps that
is an exaggeration, but if you want your DHCP app to leave your
/etc/resolv.conf file alone, you might try editing that file or somehow
setting the environment variable "$RESOLV_MODS" to "no" (as that tells the
script not to muck with resolve.conf!).

Jon