[TriLUG] kmail and RoadRunner

William Scalione wscalione at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 15 02:43:22 EDT 2002

Question from a linux newby here.

I have RH 7.2 loaded with KDE and kmail. My provider is RoadRunner,
Cable modem is connected directly to an ethernet card.

As soon as the install was done I had web access using Knoqueror,
Mozilla, and Netscape. Works great right out of the box. Did not have to
configure anything. Tried to get kmail working with only some success.
I have 2 email addresses one through RoadRunner and the other is from
Dell. The Dell address works fine, but I can't get the RoadRunner address
to recieve mail, but I can send mail on that account , I clicked the use
sendmail box for that in the kmail setup. As far as the pop server setup
goes
the server name is pop-server.nc.rr.com which I have in the pop server
box as well as my log in name and password. When I try to recieve
the mail from the roadrunner account I get an error saying connection
to server refused. I am 100% certain that the login name, password and
server name are correct. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

PS
I am not really a newby, as I have been using a piece of software called
EMC (enhanced machine controller) for a couple of years now. It runs
under linux with real time extensions. It is running on a dedicated CNC
machine computer in my garage, but I am now trying to get it up and running
on my main computer, with internet access and all the bells and whistles.
Problem is, I know nothing about networking, and the CNC computer really
dosen't need much interaction except start it up, copy a part file to it and
run the program. I know some of the commands and can navigate the
file system using either a shell, KDE's konqueror or midnight commander.