[TriLUG] Finding decent monitors?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Jul 15 22:40:21 EDT 2002

Bill Vinson [billvinson at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> My wife's monitor has just decided to die. It was an Apple 15" that was
> being used with a VGA adapter for a PC. It has survived a long time as
> it was originally purchased in 1994. Does anyone have any good leads on
> a 15" or 17" monitor? She uses hers for web browsing, e-mailing, and
> typing as she is a teacher. I would love to find something decent that
> is either new or used, but I am trying to keep the costs down...
>
> Any suggestions?

Not to pry too much, but 'trying to keep the costs down' means a lot of
different things to different people.  If you look at how long you kept
this one, you know monitors are items that last a while, through many
upgrades.  As such, I choose to spend a little extra on my monitor
purchases.  All that said, here's what I plan to buy when I need a new
one:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1612

I have a Samsung 17" that I've had for around five years or so, with no
problems (I thought it was dimming for a while, but that turned out to
be a screwed video card), so I like the brand.  I also plan on getting a
19" for my next monitor, and I like that it's flat screen.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost