[TriLUG] Finding decent monitors?

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Wed Jul 17 06:28:06 EDT 2002

What I did, was looked at www.ubid.com (which is like ebay only you can
buy direct from ubid
and cut out the risk).  I found cheap 21" monitors (my preference) and
looked then at the reviews.
(this was a couple years ago so by todays standard the price might not
impress).  I got a refurbished
(which was fine with me) 21" Hitachi professional grade monitor.
 (Hitachi IMHO is an underrated brand,
and I had seen other monitors from their professional series and been
very impressed - it uses Sony
tubes of course).

I did my research and read up on tubes and etc, and this monitor had
been top of the line 2 years before and
I think about $2,200 or so (don't remember exactly).  The tube it used
use crt guns that sounded really neato and
were still envyable at the time.

I got the monitor for around $200 and the shipping was really high but
it was still a screeming deal.

Not everything on ubid is a refurb, but depending on the device I don't
mind buying a refurb if I get the appropriate
deal.  For montiors I'd rather have a professional grade refurb than a
brand new "consumer" model.

Again by now the difference may not be so profound, but in 21" monitors
there are generally at least two series from any company a professional
series, and the kind you buy at best buy.  The professional series
generally are of far better quality at about 2-3 times the price.  Well
worth it though considering I wish to preserve what little eyesight I have.

-Andy