[TriLUG] [OT] Macintosh repair

Neil L. Roeth neil at occamsrazor.net
Wed Jul 17 21:38:48 EDT 2002

I recently copied data from HFS formatted floppies using the HFS driver.  It
only seemed to be available with the 2.2 kernel, unless I overlooked something
in the 2.4 kernel config.

Once I built the 2.2 kernel with the HFS driver, and mounted the floppy with
that, I was able to copy the files with ease.  The only remaining issue was
that the text files used a carriage return to end lines, which I had to
replace with carriage return/line feed for the Windows user who wanted the
files.

On Jul 17, Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar at Golux.Com) wrote:
 > My old Macintosh Performa has finally ceased to function.  It
 > boops on power-up, and the disk is accessed a couple of times
 > (might just be *its* power-on), and then nothing.  No monitor
 > light, nada.
 >
 > So I'm ready to recycle it -- but before I do I want to scavenge
 > the disks.  I suppose I could find someone who would let me hook
 > up the external drive to their Mac and copy its contents to CDs
 > or to a storage place on the net, but I'm not sure what to do
 > about the INternal drive.  Is there a Linux driver for MaxOS 7
 > HFS-formatted drives?
 >
 > Of course, if I can get it fixed for cheap I'll do that, scavenge
 > it, and *then* recycle it.  (Probably to a school, at that point.)
 >
 > Any suggestions?
 > --
 > #ken	P-)}
 >
 > Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini  http://Golux.Com/coar/