[TriLUG] RR Setup

Ed Warnicke hagbard at physics.rutgers.edu
Thu Jul 18 20:45:44 EDT 2002

OK... your cable modem is probably not up on the cable network.  Many of
the Motorola Cable Modems being used by RR will issue a DHCP address
to computers plugged into their ethernet port from an address pool
in the 192.168.100.0/24 network.  This is a feature to allow you to
continue to run your home network even if the cable network is down.  If
your cable modem has come up on the cable network then it will
simply bridge your DHCP traffic up to the CMTS ( cable modem termination
system ).

So, now for further diagnosis:

Hopefully you have a cable modem similar to my Moto Surfboard 3100.
If so then on the front of your cable modem there will be 5 lights like
so:

*	Power
*	Receive
*	Send
*	Online
*	Activity

The first four lights ( Power, Receive, Send, Online ) should be solid
green if your cable modem is on.  If all is well the Activity light
would be a blinking orange.

So the first question is, are the first four lights ( Power, Receive,
Send, Online ) solid green.  If not, let me know what the configuration
of lights is, including whether they are blinking, and I can give you a
reasonable guess about what is going wrong.

Ed