[TriLUG] (Mac OS X) I have turned to the Dark Side

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Sun Jul 21 12:25:39 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 01:02, Jeff Jackowski wrote:

> Out of curiousity, how does iTunes compare to grip?

So much easier (iTunes).  Unfortunately it does not seem to be quite as
customizable, that is to say you can't play ogg's through it (as far as
I can tell) or encode ogg's for that matter.  But it is so nice to pop
in a music CD, not have to hit a single key, and it does what I want it
to do (rip, encode, eject).  And it is FAST too.  I am encoding at 160
kbps and I avg about 5x faster than real time on the first few tracks,
and around 8x faster than real time on later tracks.

> Worse yet, the best non-linear video editors on Linux, Broadcast 2000 and
> now Cinelerra, are not officially available in binary form. A number of
> people are still having trouble compiling Cinelerra. The last time I
> tried was several months ago and I decided against developing the code
> that seemed to be missing (grep couldn't find the undefined symbols). So
> much for just *worked*.

Unfortunately it may be years before Linux will be a platform of choice
for NLE.  Multimedia is not an area in which Linux was ever widely known
as a strong contender.

It would be nice though if I could use my Mac to assemble the layout of
a movie, and push off the rendering to a Linux farm where raw CPU
horsepower is CHEAP, and massively parallel computing is mature.

> On the positive side, Broadcast 2000 can do quite a lot. I just finished
> up my first attempt at a MST3K style short (3:35). The chromakey needs
> some work, and the audio isn't the best, but no professional equipment was
> used. If anyone is interested, a small low quality version is at:
> http://home.hiwaay.net/~jeffj1/riffs/. XMovie and mplayer can play it
> back.

Crashes the browser on my Mac.  :-(

Finding good open source software that is cocoa native is... difficult
(to put it kindly).  But I did find Audacity which is a handy dandy
little audio editing app.

Now if OpenOffice were running natively....

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-
+[Upchuckee Nation]+

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is
 dressed in overalls and looks like work."
	-Thomas A. Edison