[TriLUG] OOP book recommendations

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 23 17:20:02 EDT 2002

Hello

<Get ready for intense opitions which will most likely be different for
every person who answers your question.>

I read "The Tao of Objects" a long time ago.  I enjoyed it.   Since then,
"Thinking in C++".  After reading the last one and my second C++ project, I
finally groked OO design and implementation.

Since then, I started Design Patterns but never got past the first couple
of chapters.

In my opinion, a good design isn't that hard if you do use cases and some
simple entity relationship diagrams.  Anymore than that and you are
becoming a methodology/tool expert instead of a problem expert.  Remember
we are hired to solve problems and not to learn a methodology or tool.

Also, a design should be imcomplete.  Nothing is more of a bore than a over
complicated design document.  My other pet peeve is design documents with C
code in them.  If I wanted to see code, i would look at the code.  I'm
looking at your design to get a feel for what it does and how its put
together.    I'll get the details from the code.  Besides, all those
details don't mean squat.  Designs don't compile, programs do.

Lastly, you should read "Extreme Programming."  I've read/implemented some
of their techniques and a lot of it just common sense learned from being in
the business.

Happy Trails

JD

"H. Wade Minter" <minter at lunenburg.org>@trilug.org on 07/23/2002 05:08:38