[TriLUG] Re: Application?

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 24 15:50:18 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 11:20, Jeff Bollinger reputedly wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean, but say I wanted an upside-down exclamation
> point in either a password, or in a Mozilla mail message?
>
> Jeff

A knarly problem indeed.

¡  (created with vi; vi blah; insert mode; cntl-v; 161; save&quit)

dumpkeys -l | less shows you what is possible

For definition of the problem, see:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Danish-HOWTO.html

I played with /etc/X11/XF86Config setting

	LeftAlt		ModeShift

to no avail.  When I enter LeftAlt-1-6-1, I get

(arg: 161)

I could not get the glyph for code 161 in the latin-1 charset to display
using keyboard input using xterm.  By cat-ing the blah file I edited above,
the '¡' was displayed.

I get the character to appear in this email by inserting the blah file.