[TriLUG] evolution robot and ZapMedia (unrelated questions)?

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 26 05:12:52 EDT 2002

Hey everyone. I was surfing last night and stumbled upon
http://www.evolution.com while searching for the Evolution mail client.

It's a sweet little laptop controlled personal robot with only one major flaw
that is obvious to even the most casual observerd: it's controled by Windows
(ack, blue screen, ack) and there isn't even a Mac OS X option let alone a
Linux option.  Does anyone know of a personal robot with similar features that
runs off a Linux laptop?

Second question.

Also does anyone out there actually OWN a ZapMedia ZapStation
(http://www.zapmedia.com)?  I like that it's Linux based but I don't like the
idea that I can't use SMB to mount drives to back up the MP3s on the media
station and/or to get around the 30 gig hard drive limitation.  I do like that
it comes with a FTP server so files can be uploaded to the station, however,
but without 802.11a or b I have to run a Cat-5 cable to the station from the
switch.  So there's good and bad with the ZapStation.  I'm just wondering if
anyone owns one and what your thoughts are regarding this product.

Greg