[TriLUG] Debian Bigots (was Re: Noise)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Jul 26 17:13:12 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 16:58, John F Davis wrote:

> -- Ok first response after taking offense.
>
> heh. what a macaroon.

Yep, that's what I thought about you. :-)

> Mandrake piggy backed itself onto Red Hat.  Red Hat quit supporting Sparc.
> So, what's Mandrake to do about Sparc?  You think they port the code?
> I doubt it.  They most likely get it from Suse (if Suse supports it) or
> they get it from Debian.   For what its worth, Sun has pumbed money into
> Debian.  The Debian server is a dual Ultra 60.
>
> Mandrake's relationship towards Red Hat is kinda like ppc linux where
> Montavista does the real work and rtlinux wraps the mvista code  in nicer
> rpms.

You obviously don't know anything about current Mandrake.  Yes,
Mandrake took the redhat base to begin with.  That was a long
time ago.  For quite some time now, mandrake has been it's own
distribution.  Just take a look at the Mandrake cooker mailing
list if you don't believe me.  Mandrake and Redhat are *not*
compatible anymore.

> Call me a bigot.  You are funny.

Hmmm... let's see.  You immediately assume that because someone
is using a distribution other than debian, it, automatically, must
be the distribution's fault.  Then, you publicly attack that
distribution while saying that debian will cure all the users ills.
That sounds pretty bigoted towards Debian if you ask me.  Your
suggestion contributed nothing towards the overall purpose of
helping the person with their problem.

> Let me see, you are the pasty white guy who whines about eating veggies
> cooked on a grill which had previously cooked meat.  Like your opinion
> matters.

I have never whined about eating veggies.  Yes, for the record, I am
a vegetarian.  However, I don't care if anyone else in the world is
a vegetarian.  If you eat meat, good for you, just don't offer me any.

As far as my opinion, yes I think it matters.  It is certainly much
more informed than yours is.  I also didn't say anything against
debian.  I think debian is a perfectly valid distribution.  However,
I have a *big* problem with certain debian users who can't get over
the fact that most of the world uses rpm and therefore feel the need
to belittle rpm based distributions whenever possible.

> -- Ok, second response.
>
> Heh that's funny.  Good troll.

Yep, your message definitely was that.  Take the distribution
wars somewhere else.  The trilug list is distribution agnostic
and we have no desire to bash one distribution over another here.

Tanner (Once again speaking ONLY FOR MYSELF, NOT FOR THE SC.)
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/