[TriLUG] Re: SPARC Networking Failure

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 26 19:28:26 EDT 2002

Here's my .02 worth.  I've got an Ultra5.  I choose Debian because:

1) Downloading the CD was faster because of more mirrors available; and you
can finish loading from the Internet
2) The debian-sparc at lists.debian.org list is helpful if you research the
archives first before asking a question; installing is a little rough around
the edges (I'll be glad to supply my notes)
3) My research uncovered more debian sparc users than any other distro; I was
motivated to get any Linux running as fast as possible and debian seemed to
be the path of least resistance

BTW, I've had not had a single networking issue.
YMMV.

I am not advocating abandoning Mandrake.  I am not touting Debian.  I use
RH6.1 with 2.2.14, Mandrake 8.1, and Debian-sparc 2.2r6.