[TriLUG] diskless x86

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Jul 26 17:37:45 EDT 2002

On Saturday 27 July 2002 12:04 am, Chris Merrill wrote:

> Is there PC hardware that can boot from LAN?
> I'm quite curious as to how one could get
> Linux into RAM without some flavor of storage
> device (floppy, CD, HD)?

When I had BIOS misconfigured and the wrong disk was being read, the machine
started looking for a bootp (I think) server.  I'm not sure whether that's a
function of my motherboard or what, but it certainly looks possible.  I guess
I assumed that's part of what http://www.k12ltsp.org/ terminal server was
about, but that might just be a bad assumption.

---Tom