[TriLUG] Re: Noise

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sat Jul 27 18:58:43 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 18:20, Jeremy P wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 15:58, John F Davis wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Mandrake is your problem.  Get something stable like Debian.
> >
> > Actually, I would say people who have reactions like this are
> > the problem.  If you don't understand something, as you *obviously*
> > don't with mandrake, don't criticize it.
>
> Hmm.  a distro war!  Good way to liven up a quiet list.  :-)
>
> Actually, it does appear that this thread is named
> appropriately...noise!

Jeremy,

Actually, if you look closely, I was not actually advocating
one distribution over the other.  I realize different people
like different distributions.  That's perfectly fine.  I was,
however, objecting to the knee jerk reaction of someone
automatically assuming the distribution was at fault.  It
didn't help towards solving the person's problem (just like
the ensuing flamefest didn't either).  The person who originally
posted had already chosen a distribution and only needed
help with a specific problem.

Looking back over the thread, if I could take back anything
at all, I would probably have not changed the subject to be
"Debian Bigot".  I thought that John was learned enough to
realize that my use of the word had nothing to do with
"racism".  Instead, I was using the actual dictionary definition
of the word: "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her
own opinions and prejudices."  Unfortunately, it seems John
immediately assumed I was calling him a racist (as he
mentioned on #trilug).  For the record: I was not, and I have
never, ever, ever called John Davis, or for that matter, anyone
on the list a racist.  Let's kill that one right now.  I do,
however, continue to believe that John feels a certain animosity
towards non debian distributions.  If he wants to feel that
way, that's perfectly fine.  Just as long as he doesn't try to
impose his feelings on everyone else (note that persuasion is
something completely different).  In addition, John, your comments
to Tom Callaway were completely out of line.  I believe you
owe him an apology (however, whether you actually give him one is your
own business).

To those of you who've had to endure this thread, I'll go ahead
and apologize.  It was my response that started the whole thing.
Hopefully, in the future, we can all be a little more tolerant.

Tanner
P.S. Someone mentioned that, for those of us on the SC, it should
be considered that, by default, we're posting for ourselves and not
for the SC.  I wish that were true, but we've had enough
misunderstandings in the past that it's just much easier to reiterate
it every time.  I AM NOT posting as a member of the SC, but
rather just as myself.
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989