[TriLUG] Red Hats Package online package manager thingy (i actually likes it)

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Jul 28 13:12:04 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 11:16, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> So great job redhat on a nifty tool that does save me a little time.
>  Please consider cooperating with Ximian on the Gnome
> thing.

Actually, this isn't "Red Hat needs to co-operate with Ximian" so much
as a "Ximian doesn't need to repackage every app it depends on and
replace the ones that come standard with $DISTRIBUTION"

Item : Red Hat follows the Gnome standard. Ximian is a distribution of
Gnome, not the standard
Item: Red Carpet broke 7.3's updates & depends, even though 7.3 was out
before that version of Gnome
Item: rpm -qa |grep ximian shows a lot more than Gnome stuff.
Xmms-ximian for example, which doesn't seem to be any different than the
default xmms

While I wish the two would inter-operate better, I don't think it's Red
it's job to test every package and add-on someone builds. It's up to the
package maintainer to make sure his/her packages don't break the distro.
:)

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --