[TriLUG] Red Hats Package online package manager thingy (i actually likes it)

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Sun Jul 28 13:20:35 EDT 2002

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney [alchemist at darkcanvas.com] wrote:
> Item : Red Hat follows the Gnome standard. Ximian is a distribution of
> Gnome, not the standard
> Item: Red Carpet broke 7.3's updates & depends, even though 7.3 was out
> before that version of Gnome
> Item: rpm -qa |grep ximian shows a lot more than Gnome stuff.
> Xmms-ximian for example, which doesn't seem to be any different than the
> default xmms

Yup, I will second this.  The problem is not RedHat breaking Ximian, it's
the other way around.  I no longer use any of Ximian's tools because of
their disregard for anything that they replace.

Ximian likes to repackage newer versions of things which are already in
RedHat -- there's nothing wrong with that, except they *don't* provide
compatibility packages for stuff built against the old libraries.  Since
most 3rd-party vendors build against a pristine distro when possible, this
means that installing Ximian almost always breaks non-redhat and non-ximian
apps, and usually breaks security fixes from redhat that overlap as well,
and assures that there's no going back once you've installed ximian, because
your dependency tree gets all f**ked up.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com) http://ranger.befunk.com/
I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless