OT: flame on (was Re: [TriLUG] Debian Bigots)

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Mon Jul 29 11:16:25 EDT 2002

Andrew -

As speaking from the point of a current Exchange administrator, while it may
take a few minutes to set up (and a few minutes more to realize your SMTP
relay is hanging open like the fly on your pants,) it will take years off
you life in ongoing maintenance.

I like Exchange for a number of reasons, the client software integrates
several nice functions (contacts, shared calendar, etc.) and the server is
fairly straightforward to manage if its left by itself.  In an enterprise
environment with heavy loads, it gets tricky.

This may also be true for Sendmail in larger installs, but how many times
has Sendmail's mail handler bombed due to the content of a message it was
handling?  We've experienced cases where too many Remote Procedure Call
threads were allocated for dial-up modem users (they tend to hold RPC pipes
open for long periods of time, and there were a limited number of pipes that
could be allocated in that version of Exchange, fixed later,) which blocked
new connections.  We've had a myriad of other issues and even escalated
things to the point where we received an apology letter from the top dogs at
MS.

In short, the lure of MS is the cheap cost of hardware and the low entry
barrier for administrators, but the hidden price is man hours and downtime.

One last point - a large part of the problem with MS's reputation isn't
always the quality of its software code, but the inadequacy of the
administrators implementing and administering these systems.  Because of the
easy entry to the field, many of the administrators do not get proper
training, a lot of the pitfalls we've experienced would have been avoided if
we'd had better training.  Those pitfalls include transaction log volumes
filling up and halting the services, inadequate monitoring of these systems
(which would alert one to the disk space shortage,) and non-existent user
training.

So, Exchange has come a long way, and as long as you sit on top of it to
ensure it doesn't spool out of disk space when a mail loop occurs (the sort
of loop caused by autoresponders on both ends,) it will probably be just
fine.  Course, the client-end is another issue.  Patch those bad boys or
suffer the wrath of script fu!

-b-