[TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Tue Jul 30 14:03:20 EDT 2002

One thing Lisa may want to check for, depending on her application, is the
quality of the sound card in use.  If the sound card is handling the
analog-to-digital recording, the noise picked up by the sound card (consumer
grade soundcards in particular,) from the computer's data buses may be
unacceptable for a master recording.

Be sure to QC the resulting CD for pops and clicks or whine that may not be
present in the source material.  If this is unacceptable for your needs, you
may want to consider a higher quality sound card, or an external sound
device (Creative makes one, for example) to put some distance between the
noise source and the encoding hardware, or using one of the SPDIF outputs
from your studio gear (if equipped) to one of the sound cards that comes
with such (Turtle Beach and Creative both offer SPDIF-equipped cards.)
SPDIF is a common digital connection method between audio equipment when
that audio equipment deals with digital sound, like high-end CD players or
multi-track digital recorders.

That's one of the desirable reasons to go with audio-specific hardware for
recording CDs, but if you pay attention and get acceptable results on your
current machine, there is no reason NOT to use it - mechanically it works
just as well.

-b-