[TriLUG] Help: Kernel Snafu? Used up2date to update kernel, now it panics. Probably common, but...

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Jul 30 21:29:51 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 21:16, William W. Ward wrote:
> 1.  If v2.5.4 of up2date or older editions cannot be used to update the
> kernel, how can I be sure what version I'm using?  --version did not give me
> a version number, just a "v" and a copyright date through 2001.  IF I have
> an outdated up2date, how can I get a new one?

If up2date didn't update itself (and it should!) you can always grab the
current versions from the errata on ftp.redhat.com and apply them
yourself.

To check the version, you shoudl be able to

up2date --nox --version

as root. Mine shows :

[alchemist at pikachu](~)> sudo up2date --nox --version
Password:
Red Hat Update Agent v2.9.13
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Red Hat, Inc.
Licensed under terms of the GPL.
[alchemist at pikachu](~)>

but I'm running Limbo, so YMMV

> 2.  How can I repair the kernel 2.4.9-32 so that it will operate as if it
> were upgraded automatically by up2date, and how can I have my packages and
> whatnot reflect properly on the Red Hat Network if I make a manual
> adjustment that de-sync's it from the expected list?  I have added nothing
> to the machine, and only used the errata and package updates to auto-update
> the box.

Given the error you've reported, you probably need to do the following :

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.9-32.img 2.4.9-32

this will create a new initrd file for it to load modules from at boot.

You may also want to check the /etc/grub.conf file to verify the kernel
command line matches the older one (except, of course, the version
numbers!)

HTH...

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --