[TriLUG] How to connect two buildings a mile apart...

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Wed Jul 31 13:32:33 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 01:01  PM, William W. Ward wrote:
> Its a one-time expense, as long as the hardware lasts, so you can
> depreciate
> the expense over time.
> The only other possibility that I'd be interested in is dropping fiber
> for
> that mile-span, but I beleive a mile's worth of fiber is >$3,000 before
> you
> discuss how to get it in the ground and terminated.

I'd go with the fiber drop.  Here's why:

* Fiber isn't subject to arboreal or avian DOS.
* Fiber is more secure than 802.11.
* Fiber can carry considerably more bandwidth than current wireless
solutions (excepting possibly microwave - I don't know how much data
microwave can carry)
* Fiber can be leased and therefore maintained by someone else.
* Fiber takes less power than microwave

In its defense, microwave, depending on the power level, doesn't suffer
from avian DOS.  Rather the reverse.

jf
--
John Franklin