[TriLUG] MD5 password problem in SuSE

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 1 14:00:18 EDT 2002

Running SuSE (7.1?) on a Sparc64 I went to the KDE control panel and the
Security Settings module (all as root) and checked the "active MD5
encryption for passwords".  I had a user change her password, and now
she cannot log in via SSH.

When I look at /etc/shadow I can tell her new password has MD5 because
the encrypted password is MUCH longer than the other user passwords (who
have not changed their passwords since I enabled MD5 encryption.)

Any ideas how I can keep MD5 encryption on all the passwords in
/etc/shadow, but still access the system via SSH?

Jeff
--
Jeff Bollinger
University of North Carolina