[TriLUG] MD5 password problem in SuSE

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 1 14:13:00 EDT 2002

Jeff Bollinger:
> Running SuSE (7.1?) on a Sparc64 I went to the KDE control panel and the
> Security Settings module (all as root) and checked the "active MD5
> encryption for passwords".  I had a user change her password, and now
> she cannot log in via SSH.
>
> When I look at /etc/shadow I can tell her new password has MD5 because
> the encrypted password is MUCH longer than the other user passwords (who
> have not changed their passwords since I enabled MD5 encryption.)
>
> Any ideas how I can keep MD5 encryption on all the passwords in
> /etc/shadow, but still access the system via SSH?

This sounds like a PAM problem.  Look at the /etc/pam.d/sshd to see if has
md5 included.  On a SuSE 7.x system this is what it looks like:

  #%PAM-1.0
  auth required	pam_unix.so # set_secrpc
  auth required	pam_nologin.so
  auth required	pam_env.so
  account required	pam_unix.so
  password required	pam_pwcheck.so	md5
  password required	pam_unix.so	md5 use_first_pass use_authtok
  session required	pam_unix.so	none   # trace or debug
  session required	pam_limits.so

Regards,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204